|Home | Contact | About Us|
Current Job Listings:
RF Transmission Engineer
Job ID 522511BR
· Work as a member of ESPN Technology team and the division’s Media Engineering & Operations team to implement state of the art technical facilities and distribution systems at our headquarters in Bristol Connecticut.
· Respond to and resolve Broadcast facility issues and perform oversight and maintenance on key Transmission/RF contribution and distribution systems.
· Perform fabrication, installation, maintenance, and repair of the radio-frequency (RF) equipment used in large-scale satellite downlink and uplink operations; such as waveguide assemblies, cables, and fiber-optic systems.
· When required perform preventative maintenance on all TV broadcasting systems and equipment, such as MPEG Compression systems, Encoders, Multiplexers, Modulators, Protection Switches, Uplink Based Conditional Access and Decoder Control, Integrated Receiver Decoders (IRDs), switchers, consoles, playout servers, cameras, robotics, and electromechanical equipment.
· Monitors the performance of systems; maintains system configuration history of changes, troubleshoots and participates in repairing systems problems and failures, participates in leading or leads the maintenance of systems, installs software patches, updates etc., to resolve and avoid service problems, and troubleshoots system problems as they relate to these services.
· Responds to system outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems, and conducts diagnostic testing, repair and replacement activities necessary to solve routine, specialized, and complex problems.
· Develops and implements effective preventative maintenance and diagnostic/solutions, techniques and procedures.
· Coordinates and / or performs upgrades to system hardware and software; coordinates the activities of technicians involved in the deployment and configuration of the systems, and with vendors on moves, additions and re-locations of systems or equipment.
· Develops and implements effective preventative maintenance and diagnostic/solutions, techniques and procedures for systems such as; Audio normalization, Ratings information system (i.e. Nielsen and Arbitron), Frame Syncs, Distribution Amplifiers, Closed Captioning, Redundancy switching, Content routers: Preferable knowledge in Evertz, SDI, ASI, IP multicast.
· Participates in planning or plans for the facility infrastructure; participates in evaluating or evaluates new technologies, in researching network and system configurations for future implementation of ESPN’s systems.
· Maintain up to date operational procedures to support daily productions and emergency recovery scenarios.
· Generates and organizes required project technical documentation required to support and operate all company broadcast facilities.
· Monitors project progress and periodically updates project schedules, noting achievement of milestones and issues requiring resolution.
· 6+ years of experience in Earth Station operation and maintenance.
· Demonstrated experience with Satellite Communications, including Geostationary orbits, Transponder theory, Transponder Padding, Satellite Lifespans (Inclined Orbits), Cross polarization / Isolation.
· Demonstrated experience in knowledge with Satellite Teleport Infrastructure, RF Propagation characteristics, RF Interference Mitigation, FCC Compliance, commitment to RF and Electrical Safety Principles.
· Strong background in uplink access procedures and working with satellite providers to ensure access compliance.
· Demonstrated ability and skill for component-level troubleshooting required on High-Power Amplifiers (HPA), fiber-optic systems, up converters, down converters, RF switching units, Antenna Control Units (ACUs), Low-Noise Amplifiers (LNAs) and Low-Noise Block Down converters (LNBs), and switching and/or monitoring audio/video equipment.
· Advance understanding of signal routing control systems to route video/audio and IP signals.
· Must be knowledgeable of the different video/audio CODECs used in program transmission.
· Has in-depth experience providing Highly Availability Windows/Unix/Linux environments.
· Has a solid understanding of SCSI, Fibre Channel, SAN, NAS, RAID and I/O Storage Sub-Systems. Principles.
· In-Depth experience with FTP, SSH, HTTP/S, SNMP, and DNS.
· Familiarity with television transmission operations, MPEG and JPEG CODECS, and ASI stream analyzers
· Demonstrated hands on knowledge and experience with; MPEG Compression systems, preferably Arris and Harmonic, Encoders, Multiplexers, Modulators, Protection switches, Uplink Based Conditional Access and Decoder Control, Integrated Receiver Decoders (IRDs) and experience with the following manufacturers: Arris, Harmonic, Ericsson, Adtec, Ateme, TVU .
· Knowledge of basic Networking concepts such as: Routers, Switches, Subnetting, Ethernet cable installation and termination and proper cabling to support service inputs/outputs and plant integration
· RF (Lband), IP multicast, SDI, ASI, Analog Audio, AES audio, HDMI, Display Port, Component, Composite, Ethernet, Serial Data.
· Experience in the use of specialized electronic test and monitoring equipment including spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, RFR measurement gear.
· Physical requirements and work environment: Ability to climb ladders, work on raised structures and building roofs, operate areal lift platforms, operate forklifts.
· 6+ years of experience in IT, Broadcast Engineering or related field.
· Has extensive knowledge of television production hardware, software, systems and specifications, TCP\\IP protocols on servers and workstations, systems management and server administration.
· Advance demonstrated IT skills including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
· Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Experience with Digital trunked radio systems, Subscriber unit management and maintenance, RF combiners, circulators, filters and other Land Mobile basic functions.
· Knowledge and experience with Fiber Optic theory, installation and maintenance including Fusion Splicing, certifications and use of OTDR’s and other related test equipment.
· Bachelor of Science degree in a Technology related field or a minimum of 8 years of experience in a media/broadcast environment as described above.
· Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Information Technology or a minimum of 8 years of experience in a media/broadcast environment as described above.
· SBE or equivalent certifications.